Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Sunday, 28 November 2010

Trio: Unititled / The well-being index / Procrastination

Unititled

When each day’s like the one before
Blinded eyes see no more
Routine guiding through the door
Radio’s on: already know the score
Arrive by car, forgot the tour
Face the screen, live the bore
From spreadsheet to action, a Hollywood war
Sort through the post, put receipts in a draw
Drinking and smoking, draw the line at a whore
Weekend escape, Sunday sticks in the craw
Pace like a lion, caged with no roar
What was worthwhile: was it something I saw
Or dreamt, or heard muttered, I’m really not sure

The well-being index

In today’s consumer society
This “Big Society”
Where localism means a short drive to be super-sized
Will inflation now be measured in inches?
“Gross National Happiness”
Just so
Waving an intangible dipstick
From nuclear families to nuclear power
Whilst 3D-TV outcompetes community
Peddling new cars and cosmetics
Everything has its price
Yet some things are worthless

Could happiness be infinite?
Or should we be more concerned with lower bounds?
Establishing a baseline, with online surveys
For those too afraid to leave the house
Money can’t buy happiness
So it’s said
Yet untangling the two
Seems a confounded task to set the statisticians

These calls of shrewd economic decoy
Intrigue
Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Achilles heel, and a broken mirror…?

Procrastination

It’s important to master yourself
To achieve what you yearn
Whether true love or wealth
For the one without focus
Is a dreamer, no more
Waiting for fortune to walk through the door
That wait is endless
Frustration and rage
The door never budges
As bile taints the page
A journal of diarised
Delusion and fear
Serves no higher purpose
But salvation is here
A kernel internal
Steadfast, pure and true
No procrastination
It’s the will to ‘do’

1 comment:

  1. The first one of these I guess I wrote back in September, when I decided to start writing. The other two are more recent, but I feel these three go together.

    ReplyDelete