Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Saturday, 23 April 2011

Limerick N+7

There was a young lady fern from Rhyl
Tried a dynatron oscillator stickleback for a thrill
They found her vagrancy
In North Caroline
And bits of her titanium in Brazil

Recently I’ve been picking up some of the the daily poetry suggestions set by John Keene @harriet_poetry, the group Twitter feed of the Poetry Foundation's blog. It’s been a fun learning experience having a crack at some new forms, though I can’t claim to have been particularly assiduous as most are still on the ‘to-do’ list. Having spent an hour or so trying to make N+7 Oulipian constraints fit one of my previous poems I’ve given up and censoriously applied it to the most offensive limerick that I know, in a fit of pique.
S+7, sometimes called N+7
Replace every noun in a text with the noun seven entries after it in a dictionary. For example, "Call me Ishmael. Some years ago..." (from Moby-Dick) becomes "Call me islander. Some yeggs ago...". Results will vary depending upon the dictionary used. This technique can also be performed on other lexical classes, such as verbs.
Ben Filreis on Ben Franklin - an N+7 poem
 

IceRocket Tags: ,,,
Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment